Ayurvedic Treatment for Fatty Liver Disease
World Health Organization (WHO) declared Liver Diseases as ‘A Global Public Health Issue’. Non- Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD) is emerging as the commonest cause of Chronic Liver Diseases. Among the Liver Diseases, NAFLD deserves special reference as it has been recognized as the prime cause of Liver Cirrhosis.
The prevalence of NAFLD is related to Diabetes Mellitus & Obesity & has doubled during last 20 years, whereas the prevalence of other Chronic Liver Diseases has remained stable or even decreased.
Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD) is a condition of extra fat build-up in the liver. This is on the rise — it now affects more than 50% of the Indian population. It usually doesn’t cause any symptoms or harm, and is often first detected by accident when an Imaging Study such as an Ultrasound Abdomen, CT Scan, or MRI is requested for another reason. NAFLD is intimately related to conditions like Diabetes, Obesity & is also linked to an increased risk of Cardio Vascular Disease.
THE MANY FACES OF FATTY LIVER DISEASE:
The medical umbrella term NAFLD refers to a Fatty Liver that is not related to alcohol use. NAFLD is further divided into 2 Groups:
- Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver (NAFL), otherwise known as Simple Fatty Liver, or
- Non-Alcoholic Steato Hepatitis NASH)
Differentiating between Simple Fatty Liver and NASH is important. Because for many a people, having Simple Fatty Liver doesn’t cause any Symptoms or Sickness related to the Liver, whereas those with NASH have Inflammation and Injury to their Liver Cells. NASH increases the risk of progression to more serious conditions like Fibrosis or Scarring of the Liver, Liver Cirrhosis, and Liver Cancer. NASH Cirrhosis is expected to be the number one reason for Liver Transplants in India. Luckily, most people with NAFLD have Simple Fatty Liver and not NASH.
FATTY LIVER & AYURVEDA:
In Ayurveda NAFLD is correlated to ‘Yakrith Roga’ & ‘Medo Roga’. A vast Spectrum of diseases comes under Yakrith Roga ranging from Simple Fatty Liver to Hepatomegaly to Complex Ascitis to Complicated Liver Cirrhosis.
Vidahi & Abhishyanda Ahaara (Spicy & the foods that block the Channels) cause Raktha Kapha Dusti and leads to Yakrith Roga & Yakritodara. ‘Sthoulya’ can be compared to Obesity & ‘Medo Roga’ to the diseased state of Fat Metabolism according to Charaka.
NAFLD is a Metabolic Disorder of Hepatic Origin. Thus, the Treatment of NAFLD should be directed toward normalization of Liver Functions as well as to the Reduction of Insulin Resistance.
HEALTHY DO'S FOR LIVER PATIENTS:
If you have been diagnosed with Fatty Liver Disease, it is important to keep your Liver as healthy as possible and avoid anything that can damage your Liver. Here are some important things you should do:
- Eat Organic, Freshly Cooked Foods;
- Do not Skip or Delay your Meals;
- Take less or No Medications, Supplements as Everything is Toxic to the Liver;
- Control other health conditions that might also affect your Liver,
- Lose Weight as Aerobic Exercises decrease the Fat in the Liver;
- Avoid Preservatives, Chemicals, Processed or Left Over Foods;
- Avoid Alcohol & Beverages, Cool Drinks, Coffee even in smaller doses;
- Smoking & Chewing Tobacco, Pan, Gutkha etc are to be avoided;
- Sleep Happily at least for 8 Hours;
- Avoid Situations leading to Conflict or Anger;
- Regular practice of Yoga & Meditation;
- Take Hepato Protective Herbs & Medications as prescribed by an Ayurvedic Doctor to Balance Liver which in turn builds up stronger Immunity & Over all Well Being.
- Pathya Ahara & Pathya Vihara; Panchakarma; Agneya Chikitsa; Rasayana Chikitsa are to be done according to the Prakruthi (Basic Body Constitution) & Severity of the Disease for the best recovery from Fatty Liver Disease & the Syndrome.